Distinguished Research Fellow
- Room 815, Physics Building
Xianmin Jin is a Distinguished Researcher in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). He graduated from University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) with a PhD in Physics in 2008. After two-year postdoctoral research in Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale he joined the Clarendon Laboratory and Department of Physics at the University of Oxford as postdoctoral associate as well as a joint research fellow with National University of Singapore. He was awarded Marie Curie Fellow by European Commission in 2012, and was elected Wolfson College Fellow of University of Oxford in 2013. He started establishing the Laboratory of Quantum Technology (QUTEC) in SJTU in 2013 and joined SJTU as a full-time PI in 2014.
- Young Scientist Prize in the World Economic Forum (2015)
- National Young 1000 Talents Plan (2014)
- Shanghai 1000 Talents Plan (2013)
- Top 100 Excellent Ph. D. Thesis Award of China (2013)
- Top 100 Excellent Ph. D. Thesis Award of Chinese Academy of Sciences (2012)
- Top 10 science breakthroughs of 2010 in China (2010)
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (2010, 2013, 2017)
Xianmin Jin’s interests cover a broad spectrum ranging from quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum metrology with special focus on the subject of building large-scale quantum systems, by using integrated photonics technology and quantum memory. He has published over 35 peer-reviewed journal papers listed in SCI, including 2 in Science, 11 in Nature Publishing Group, 8 in Physical Review Letters, and more than 1400 citations with an H-index of 20.
- Gaia Donati, Tim J. Bartley, Xian-Min Jin, Mihai-DorianVidrighin, Animesh Datta, Marco Barbieri, and Ian A. Walmsley, Observing optical coherence across Fock layers with weak-field homodyne detectors, Nature Communications, DOI:10.1038/ncomms6584 (2014)
- Benjamin J. Metcalf, Justin B. Spring, Peter C. Humphreys, Nicholas Thomas-Peter, Marco Barbieri, W. Steven Kolthammer, Xian-Min Jin, Nathan K. Langford, Dmytro Kundys, James C. Gates, Brian J. Smith, Peter G. R. Smith, and Ian A. Walmsley, Quantum teleportation on a photonic chip, Nature Photonics, 8, 770-774 (2014)
- M. R. Sprague, P. S. Michelberger, T. F. M. Champion, D. G. England, J. Nunn, Xian-Min Jin, W.S. Kolthammer, A. Abdolvand, P. StJ. Russell, and I. A. Walmsley, Broadband quantum memory in a hollow-core photonic-crystal fibre, Nature Photonics 8, 287–291 (2014)
Interview in Nature Photonics, reported by PhysOrg.
- Mihai Vidrighin, Gaia Donati, Marco G. Genoni, Xian-Min Jin, W. StevenKolthammer, M.S. Kim, Animesh Datta, Marco Barbieri, and Ian A. Walmsley, Joint estimation of phase and phase diffusion, Nature Communications 5, 3532 (2014)
- Peter C. Humphreys, Benjamin J. Metcalf, Justin B. Spring, Merritt Moore, Xian-Min Jin, Marco Barbieri, W. Steven Kolthammer, and Ian W. Walmsley, Linear Optical Quantum Computing in a Single Spatial Mode, Physical Review Letters 111, 150501 (2013)
Selected as an Editor’s Suggestion and a Viewpoint in Physics
- Xian-Min Jin, Cheng-Zhi Peng, Youjin Deng, Marco Barberi, Joshua Nunn, Ian A. Walmsley, Sequential path entanglement for quantum metrology, Scientific Reports 3, 1779 (2013)
- Tim J. Bartley, Gaia Donati, Xian-Min Jin, Animesh Datta, Marco Barbieri, and Ian A. Walmsley, Direct Observation of Sub-binomial Light, Physical Review Letters 110, 173602 (2013)
Selected as an Editor’s Suggestion
- J. Nunn, N. K. Langford, W. S. Kolthammer, T. F. M. Champion, M. R. Sprague, P. S. Michelberger, Xian-Min Jin, D. G. England, I. A. Walmsley, Enhancing multiphoton rates with quantum memories, Physical Review Letters 110, 133601 (2013)
- Justin B. Spring, Benjamin J. Metcalf, Peter Humphreys, W. Steven Kolthammer, Xian-Min Jin, Marco Barbieri, Animesh Datta, Nicholas Thomas-Peter, Nathan K. Langford, James C. Gates, Brian J. Smith, Peter G.R. Smith, and Ian A. Walmsley, Boson sampling on a photonic chip, Science 339, 798 (2013)
Reported by Nature, Science, PhysicsWord, Physics World, PhysOrg, NewScientist, LiveScience, ARS Technica, IEEE Spectrum, WIRED and ABC News.
- Benjamin J. Metcalf, Nicholas Thomas-Peter, Justin B. Spring, Dmytro Kundys, Matthew A. Broome, Peter Humphreys, Xian-Min Jin, Marco Barbieri, W. Steven Kolthammer, James C. Gates, Brian J. Smith, Nathan K. Langford, Peter G. R. Smith, and Ian A. Walmsley, Multi-photon quantum interference in a multi-port integrated photonic device, Nature Communications 4, 1356 (2013)
- Xian-Min Jin, Zheng-Huan Yi, Bin Yang, Fei Zhou, Tao Yang, Cheng-Zhi Peng. Experimental quantum error detection, Scientific Reports 2, 626 (2012)
- Lijian Zhang, Hendrik Coldenstrodt-Ronge, Animesh Datta, Graciana Puentes, Jeff S. Lundeen, Xian-Min Jin, Brian J. Smith, Martin B. Plenio and Ian A. Walmsley, Mapping coherence in measurement: full quantum tomography of wave-particle hybrid detector, Nature Photonics 6, 364–368 (2012)
Highlighted in Nature Photonics.
- Han-Ning Dai, Han Zhang, Sheng-Jun Yang, Tian-Ming Zhao, Jun Rui, You-Jin Deng, Shuai Chen, Xiao-Hui Bao, Xian-Min Jin, Bo Zhao, and Jian-Wei Pan. Holographic Storage of Biphoton Entanglement, Physical Review Letters 108, 210501 (2012)
- K. F. Reim, J. Nunn, Xian-Min Jin, P. S. Michelberger, T. F. M. Champion, D. G. England, K.C. Lee, N. K. Langford, and I. A. Walmsley, Multi-pulse addressing of a Raman quantum memory: configurable beam splitting and efficient readout, Physical Review Letters 108, 263602 (2012)
- Han Zhang, Xian-Min Jin (Co-First Author), Jian Yang, Han-Ning Dai, Sheng-Jun Yang, Tian-Ming Zhao, Jun Rui, Yu He, Xiao-Hui Bao, You-Jin Deng, Zeng-Bing Chen, Bo Zhao, Shuai Chen and Jian-Wei Pan. Preparation and Storage of Frequency-uncorrelated Entangled Photons from Cavity-enhanced Spontaneous Parametric Downconversion, Nature Photonics 5, 628-632 (2011)
Highlighted by Nature Asia Materials and NanoWerk.
- K. C. Lee, M. R. Sprague, B. J. Sussman, J. Nunn, N. K. Langford, Xian-Min Jin, T. Champion, P. Michelberger, K. F. Reim, D. England, D. Jaksch, and I. A. Walmsley. Entangling macroscopic diamonds at room temperature, Science 334, 1253 (2011)
Reported by Nature, Science, Scientific American, Physics World, New Scientist, POPSCI, CBC News, LiveScience, Vancouver Sun and Oxford Science.
- Xian-Min Jin, Ji-Gang Ren, Bin Yang, Zhen-Huan Yi, Fei Zhou, Xiao-Fan Xu, Shao-Kai Wang, Dong Yang, Yuan-Feng Hu, Shuo Jiang, Tao Yang, Hao Yin, Kai Chen, Cheng-Zhi Peng and Jian-Wei Pan. Experimental Free-Space Quantum Teleportation, Nature Photonics 4, 376-381 (2010) (Cover Story)
Top 10 science breakthroughs of 2010 in China, Reported by TIME, Nature, Nature China, PhysOrg, Physicstoday, Discovery Channel and Discover Magazine.
- Bo Zhao, Yu-Ao Chen, Xiao-Hui Bao, Thorsten Strassel, Chih-Sung Chuu, Xian-Min Jin, Jörg Schmiedmayer, Zhen-Sheng Yuan, Shuai Chen and Jian-Wei Pan. A Millisecond Quantum Memory for Scalable Quantum Networks, Nature Physics 5, 95-99 (2009)
- Ten-Yun Chen, Jun Zhang, Jean C. Boileau, Xian-Min Jin, Bin Yang, Qiang Zhang, Tao Yang, R. Laflamme and Jian-Wei Pan. Experimental Quantum Communication without Shared Reference Frame, Physical Review Letters 96, 150504 (2006)
- Cheng-Zhi Peng, Tao Yang, Xiao-Hui Bao, Jun Zhang, Xian-Min Jin, Fa-Yong Feng, Bin Yang, Jian Yang, Juan Yin, Qiang Zhang, Nan Li, Bao-Li Tian and Jian-Wei Pan. Experimental Free-Space Distribution of Entangled Photon Pairs Over 13 km: Towards Satellite-Based Global Quantum Communication, Physical Review Letters 94, 150501 (2005)