Weidong Luo （罗卫东）
Distinguished Research Fellow
- (86-21) 54742822
Weidong Luo received his Ph.D. in physics from the University of California at Berkeley in 2004. From 2005 to 2010, Dr. Luo worked at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Vanderbilt University, initially as a postdoctoral Research Associate and later as a Research Assistant Professor. During 2010, he was a visiting scholar at the Physics Department of UC Berkeley. In 2011, Dr. Luo moved to Stanford University, working as a Research Scientist at the Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials. In 2012, Dr. Luo joined the faculty of the Physics Department and the Institute of Natural Sciences of Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Dr. Luo’s recent research has focused on several areas of theoretical condensed matter physics and materials science: complex oxides, nanoscale structures, and topological insulators. He has published more than 30 peer-reviewed papers in scientific journals including PRL, PRB, Nano Letters, Science, PNAS, and Nature Communications. Dr. Luo has frequently served as reviewers for scientific journals such as PRL, PRB, JPCM, and JAP.
Condensed Matter Theory; Computational Materials Science; Complex Oxides; Nanoscale Structures; Topological Insulators:
Dr. Weidong Luo’s research approach is to understand and predict the structural, electronic, and magnetic properties of materials using atomistic first-principles quantum-mechanical methods. His recent and ongoing research projects include: topological insulators, two-dimensional materials, structural transition and piezoelectric response in multiferroic BiFeO3, charge transfer and magnetic coupling at complex oxide interfaces, atomic-scale compensation phenomena at ferroelectric interfaces, charge/orbital ordering properties and nanoscale phase separation in CMR manganites, novel magnetism in nanostructures.
- Weidong Luo, Alberto Franceschetti, Maria Varela, Jing Tao, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Sokrates T. Pantelides, “Orbital-occupancy versus charge ordering and the strength of electron correlations in electron-doped CaMnO3”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 036402 (2007).
- Weidong Luo, Peihong Zhang, and Marvin L. Cohen, “Splitting of zone-center phonon in MnO and NiO”, Solid State Communications 142, 504 (2007).
- Weidong Luo, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Sokrates T. Pantelides, “Magnetic “dead” layer at a complex oxide interface”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 247204 (2008).
- Weidong Luo, Maria Varela, Jing Tao, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Sokrates T. Pantelides, “Electronic and crystal-field effects in the fine structure of electron energy-loss spectra of manganites”, Phys. Rev. B 79, 052405 (2009).
- Matthew F. Chisholm, Weidong Luo, Mark P. Oxley, Sokrates T. Pantelides, and Ho Nyung Lee, “Atomic-Scale Compensation Phenomena at Polar Interfaces”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 197602 (2010).
- Jaume Gazquez, Weidong Luo, Mark P. Oxley, Micah Prange, Maria A. Torija, Manish Sharma, Christopher Leighton, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Maria Varela, “Atomic-resolution imaging of spin-state superlattices in nanopockets within cobaltite thin films”, Nano Lett. 11, 973 (2011).
- J. X. Zhang, Q. He, M. Trassin, W. Luo, D. Yi, M. D. Rossell, P. Yu, L. You, C. H. Wang, C. Y. Kuo, J. T. Heron, Z. Hu, R. J. Zeches, H. J. Lin, A. Tanaka, C. T. Chen, L. H. Tjeng, Y.-H. Chu, and R. Ramesh, “Microscopic origin of the giant ferroelectric polarization in tetragonal-like BiFeO3”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 147602 (2011).
- J. Seidel, W. Luo, S. J. Suresha, P.-K. Nguyen, A. S. Lee, S.-Y. Kim, C.-H. Yang, S. J. Pennycook, S. T. Pantelides, J. F. Scott, and R. Ramesh, “Prominent electrochromism through vacancy-order melting in a complex oxide”, Nature Communications 3, 799 (2012).
- P. Yu, W. Luo, D. Yi, J. X. Zhang, M. D. Rossell, C.-H. Yang, L. You, G. Singh-Bhalla, S. Y. Yang, Q. He, Q. M. Ramasse, R. Erni, S. Salahuddin, L. W. Martin, Y. H. Chu, S. T. Pantelides, S. J. Pennycook, and R. Ramesh, “Interface control of bulk ferroelectric polarization”, PNAS 109， 9710 (2012).
- Weidong Luo, Stephen J. Pennycook, and Sokrates T. Pantelides, “s-electron ferromagnetism in gold and silver nanoclusters”, Nano Lett. 7, 3134 (2007).
- De-en Jiang, Murilo L. Tiago, Weidong Luo, and Sheng Dai, “The “staple” motif: a key to stability of thiolate-protected gold nanoclusters”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130, 2777 (2008).
- Sang Ho Oh, Matthew F. Chisholm, Yaron Kauffmann, Wayne D. Kaplan, Weidong Luo, Manfred Ruhle, and Christina Scheu, “Oscillatory Mass Transport in Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth of Sapphire Nanowires”, Science 330, 489 (2010).
- Weidong Luo, Xiao-Liang Qi, “Massive Dirac surface states in topological insulator/magnetic insulator heterostructures”, arXiv: 1208.4638 (2012).