Tenure-track Associate Professor
Dr. Zhenwei Yao received his B.S. and M.S. degrees from Xi’an Jiaotong University, and Ph.D. degree in Physics from Syracuse University in NY. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow and later promoted to Research Associate at Northwestern University in Illinois. His research area is soft matter physics. In 2015, Dr. Yao was selected to the “Thousand Young Talents Program”, and joined the faculty of the Institute of Natural Sciences and the School of Physics and Astronomy in Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Theoretical and computational soft condensed matter physics: topological defects in crystals, liquid crystals and active matters; elasticity and geometry; electrostatics in soft matters; liquid droplet systems.
Topological Defects, Elasticity and Geometry
- J. Su, Z. Yao (co-first author) and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Vesicle Geometries Enabled by Dynamically Trapped States, ACS Nano 10, 2287−2294 (2016)
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Dynamics of vacancies in two-dimensional Lennard-Jones crystals, Phys. Rev. E 90, 062318 (2014); highlighted in Editors’ Suggestion.
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Polydispersity-driven topological defects as order-restoring excitations, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111, 5094 (2014)
- Z. Yao, M. Bowick, X. Ma and R. Sknepnek, Planar sheets meet negative curvature liquid interfaces, Europhys. Lett. 101, 44007 (2013)
- M. Bowick and Z. Yao, Crystalline order on catenoidal capillary bridges, Europhys. Lett. 93, 36001 (2011); arXiv:1012.4378v1
Electrostatics in Soft Matters
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Electrostatics-Driven Hierarchical Buckling of Charged Flexible Ribbons, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 148101 (2016)
- V. Jadhao, Z. Yao, C. K. Thomas, and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Coulomb energy of uniformly charged spheroidal shell systems, Phys. Rev. E 91, 032305 (2015)
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Topological Defects in Flat Geometry: The Role of Density Inhomogeneity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 115503 (2013)
- Z. Yao and M. Olvera de la Cruz, Packing of charged chains on toroidal geometries, Phys. Rev. E, 87, 012603 (2013)
- Z. Yao, M. Bowick and X. Ma, The electric double layer structure around charged spherical interfaces, J. Chem. Phys. 136, 044106 (2012); arXiv:1110.5309
Liquid Droplet Systems
- Z. Yao and M. Bowick, Self-propulsion of droplets by spatially-varying roughness, Soft Matter 8(4), 1142 (2011); arXiv:1106.5542v1
- Z. Yao and M. Bowick, The shrinking instability of toroidal liquid droplets in the Stokes flow regime, Eur. Phys. J. E 34, 32 (2011); arXiv:1011.3437v3